Saturday, July 6, 2013

Joys of the Country Life

I recently bought a house that is just in the country.  Meaning, I can throw a rock to city limits, but I am definitely not in suburbia anymore.  Today was a prime example of how far from suburbia I have come.

My brother came over with a friend of his to help me out with trimming back a bush that was trying to take over my house. In exchange, I offered to pay and feed them. Finally having a my grill back meant that I was definitely going to use said grill.

I pulled the cover off while keeping an eye out for spiders that seem to be taking over my house. I noticed that a piece had come loose from the back, so I bent down to mess with it.  When my face was less than half a foot from the side burner, I happened to glance over and see a SNAKE!!!!!



I did what any sane woman would.  I screamed at the top of my lungs and jumped back. Now that I think about it, I am kind of insulted by how little of a response I received from the snake.  It didn't even move.

Of course, my brother and his friend came over to see what I was hollering about.  They saw the snake and had a similar reaction.  They were to manly to scream, but they totally jumped back and did not want to go anywhere near that thing.

While trying to figure how to safely remove the snake from the grill, my brother's friend mentioned what was going on to my neighbor.  He comes over and shakes his head at us once he sees that it's just a little old rat snake.

He walks right up to it, and snatches it up right behind the head.  The thing barely even twisted around when it was picked up.  Turns out it had a full belly and was too busy digesting to fend of crazy humans who were screaming at it.

My poor neighbor is a country mouse living next to a city mouse.  He has to be wondering why he was cursed with me as a neighbor, but then again, maybe not.  I did bake him a cake to say thank you for his help, and while I don't know what to do about snakes, I can definitely know my way around a cake.

Toodles!

No comments:

Post a Comment